Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Inc.
P.O. Box 270143
Hartford, WI 53027
Phone (800) 869-1884
Fax (425) 451-3959
January 14, 2001
We need your help!
As part of a research project, The Liberty Crew is looking for documented examples of everyday life in police states. We need your help finding books, articles and Web sites that show how ordinary people live and survive in countries such as Cuba, Pinochet's Chile, Peron's Argentina, China, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Greece under Papadopoulos, the Eastern Bloc countries -- or any other regime that an impartial observer would easily recognize as a police state.
This information will be used to show that a police state is not just stormtroopers and concentration camps; a police state is also a pervasive and oppressive way of life. We need specific examples of the difficulties of daily living, such as:
- What is it like to travel cross-country in a police state?
- What kind of treatment (both medical and personal) would you get when you went to the doctor?
- How difficult was (is) it to start and maintain a business? How (and why) did black markets begin and operate?
- What restrictions were (are) placed on self-defense -- and what impact did these restrictions have on the average person?
- What were children taught, and how?
- What normally private areas of life are habitually violated by police state governments and how do these violations affect individuals and families? (This might include anything from sex to banking.)
- How did (does) manipulation of language, thought and the media affect everyday life?
- By what process do ordinary people get swept up in crusades against "enemies" of the government? (e.g. Jews, kulaks, "saboteurs," "reactionaries," etc.) And how do they justify their support for these causes?
- What forms of rationalization, or what coping techniques, have people used to enable themselves to live under a police state without rebelling against it?
- What specific rationalizations and methods have governments used to gain such control over everyday life?
- What would a small-time, non-political defendant have expected from a police state's court system? What rights? What procedures? What form of justice?
If you can point us toward vivid, well-documented sources for this or any other information on daily life under political tyranny, please send URLs, book titles or other information to:firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate that the e-mail is for the research project in the Subject heading as well as at the top of the message so it won't get lost in the mass of e-mail we get every day!)
NOTE: Our project will also deal with police state policies and behavior in the U.S., Britain and Australia, as well as contemporary Europe and Japan. But our greatest need at the moment is for information from and about well-recognized police states, so that we may contrast and compare those regimes with what's happening in the "free world" today.
Thank you for your help!
The Liberty Crew
Are you a member of JPFO? See http://www.jpfo.org/member.htm for information, forms, and links you can use to become a member!
A New Special Offer: If you join JPFO (or renew your membership) for a Two-Year period, we will send you a free JPFO Logo lapel pin, or a Bill of Rights Day lapel pin. See the pin!
Copyright 2001 JPFO, Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this alert in full, so long as the JPFO contact information is included.
JPFO ALERTS is provided as a free service to the Internet Community. If you wish to help support this service, consider joining JPFO! $20/year (no, you don't have to be Jewish!)
To subscribe via e-mail to JPFO Alerts: send a blank e-mail to:
To Un-subscribe to JPFO Alerts: send a blank e-mail to:
In either case, respond to the confirmation message you will get back.
[ JPFO Home > Alerts > We need your help! ]
© 2001 JPFO < email@example.com >